Posts.

Koba

Goona Mandoo
I've only ever had Korean BBQ in Tokyo. And I don't mean to name drop, I'm just trying to put this post into context, that the only comparison I have is from that side of the world. I couldn't say whether that makes the Japanese brand of Korean BBQ more authentic or not.  I guess the only way to find out is to go to Korea?  Anyway, I booked in at the counter, since it was rather a last minute decision to eat out on Friday, and there were no tables available in the main restaurant.  The counter is just inside the door and there are 10-12 seats available and 4-5 BBQ grill circles.  It was bitterly cold last night, and the manager decided to lock the door, to prevent a breeze coming in.  An interesting decision, as then he obviously had to run to the door any time a patron showed up and wanted to enter.  However, it did indicate a consideration for us counter sitters that was nice to see.

Pajun
We sat, and ordered drinks.  I went for an "OB" beer, but that was out, so settled for a "Hite" - which I'd seen at the local Korea Foods, but never tried.  It's pretty much a run of the mill lager, but had a distinguishing taste that was certainly pleasant enough.  Jasmine tea comes in asian style mugs, not your little Japanese cups.

We started with Goona Mandoo, which are pretty much Gyoza - as I know them, just wrapped slightly looser.  Certainly tasty enough, served with what looked like a soy based dipping sauce. We also went for an order of Pajun, translated on the menu as Korean pancake with spring onion & seafood.  Personally I think this dish is more about texture than taste.  The octopus dotted around the pancake was relatively chewy, but the texture of the dough was thick and satisfying.

Pickles and such.
A side order of pickles and bits and bobs arrived, much to my better half's delight.  The plate comprised orders of Sookjoo Namool (mildly seasoned beansprouts), Sigeumchi Namool (seasoned spinach), and Kkakdoogi (spicy pickled daikon).  So then onto the meat!  We went for Kalbi (marinated beef spare ribs) and Samgyupsal (thinly sliced pork belly) with a side of rice.  The rice arrived a few minutes before the meat showed up, and I fear may have been sitting around a little while before it arrived beside my chopsticks.  I only discovered this when I came to eat, but it was swiftly replaced with a fresh bowl without the slightest hesitation when I requested.  I was expecting the meat to arrive and be placed next to the grill, as I have always experienced in Japan.  But it was duly laid upon the heat, and tended well by the very busy girl behind the counter.

Meat on the grill. 
Note the "Alien" influenced
telescopic extractor fan.
The Kalbi came with one lonely rib all on its own, and I'm not entirely sure it really cooked through.  I tried knawing some of the flesh from the bone, but I was a little wary of the shade of red I exposed.  I thought I better leave it.  The pork was delciously fatty, and crisped up nicely on the grill.  We followed up with a round of Bulgogi (marinated sliced sirloin beef), which was sliced more thinly than any I had tried before, but I'm not complaining, just noting a difference. My other half finished her meal (I was replete by this point) with Kimchi Kooksu (noodle in cold soup with spicy Kimchi).  She tells me it's common in Japan to finish up your meal with some sort of carbs, so this is what she went for.  It was surprisingly spicy, and took a while to prepare, but by the looks of the other parts of the restaurant, they were slammed by this time in the evening. One last odd touch to the evening... the urinals in the men's room are filled with ice.  All in all, the best Korean BBQ we've tried in the UK.  :-)

Koba on Urbanspoon
Two True Shokutsū Two True Shokutsū Author

About Me

My photo
Japan finds the recipes and does the cooking, England takes the pictures and writes the words. Then we both eat the results!

Networks

Followers